Badges, Reputation and Microbadges
Everything a member does on Make me a Cocktail can earn them badges and/or reputation. Each is a little award given to a member for carrying out certain actions on the site. We use this machanism to promote members activity - and therefore not only show which members have contributed most to the site, but following on, which members have a more trusted voice.
We 'tip our hat' over to the guys and girls at Stack Overflow and their sister sites, who run a similar scheme for their websites, and where we gained our inspiration from.
Badges are one time awards that each member can only recieve once - and are given out for certain great actions that people carry out.
Every member automatically receives the 'Citizen' badge for joining the site. Some badges are fairly easy to achieve, where as others take time and great additions. A list of all the badges are over on the right. Hover over or click on the badge for more inforamtion.
Reputation is a points system that is earnt by members when they carry out great activity on the site. This ranges from as little as making a vote on a cocktail, to as far as creating and addings cocktails and lists.
You also earn more reputation by creating better items - for instance, if a cocktail you created earns a positive vote - we award you some more repution for creating a new recipe someone else likes.
Reputation can be earnt (or forfeited) for a host of different actions, including:
- Member completed their profile
- Member completed a new list
- Members cocktail received an up vote
- Member removed their social sharing
- Member social shared a blog post
As well as the usual key componenets of a cocktail such as ingredients, glass, method, name and more, cocktails also receive microbadges which help categorise the cocktail and give it more prestige on the site.
Some microbadges that a cocktail can receive include:
- A cocktail recognised by the International Bartenders' Association
- Featured in Henry Craddocks 'The Savoy Cocktail Book'
- Featured in a user list on the site
- Received 10 or more positive votes on the site
- Has received an award at a recognised cocktail competition
- The inventor of the cocktail is known
- Featured in 10 or more lists on this site
- We have a photo of this cocktail
- Can be made with Simon Difford's 14 key ingredients list
- Has a comment on this site
- Has been featured as cocktail of the day on this site
- Is categorised as a 'classic' cocktail on this site
- Has been socially shared from this either through twitter, google plus or facbeook
- Winner of an International Bartenders Association award
- Featured in Diffordsguide Top 100 Cocktails
We're always looking for more microbadges to add, to get even more information on a cocktail. Think you know a good one? Let us know and we'll do our best to add it in.